Grilling is not just a summer thing. At least for those of us serious about barbecue. Fortunately, there are two types of outdoor grills that enable you to grill all year round – pellet grills and gas grills.
Pellet grills or pellet smokers, as they are more commonly known, are grills that use wood pellets for fuel. A huge benefit to using a pellet smoker is that it allows you to add your preferred flavored smoke to your food – maple, alder, apple, cherry, etc. Another is the huge convenience it offers. With a pellet grill, you can really set it and forget it. You can use the grill to cook low and slow. You can use it to grill meat. You can even bake with it. However, they tend to be expensive, both to acquire and to maintain. Plus, they don’t reach the high temps that gas grills do.
Gas grills, obviously, use propane or gas as fuel. Like pellet grills, they can be quite convenient. These grills can quickly reach high temperatures which is perfect for grilling and getting gorgeous sear marks. You can use it for indirect cooking. You can even use it as a smoker, but this type of grill wouldn’t be as effective as other types of grills. A gas grill is easy to use and clean, with less working parts to worry about compared to a pellet grill. However, it doesn’t impart the same smoke flavor that pellets do. Also, controlling temperature is not as easy with a gas grill, especially when you cook at low temps.
Table of Contents
- Comparison 1: Cuisinart CGG-200 Professional Tabletop Gas Grill vs Country Smokers CSPEL015010497 Wood Pellet Grill
- Comparison 2: Fuego F21C-H Element Hinged Propane Gas Grill vs Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Wood Pellet Grill
- Comparison 3: Weber 45010001 Spirit II E-310 Liquid Propane Grill vs Z GRILLS ZPG-7002E Wood Pellet Grill
- Comparison 4: Weber 66015001 Genesis II E-315 3-Burner Natural Gas Grill vs Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
- Comparison 5: Broil King 922557 Baron S420 Natural Gas Grill vs Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill
Comparison 1: Cuisinart CGG-200 Professional Tabletop Gas Grill vs
Country Smokers CSPEL015010497 Wood Pellet Grill
- Modular grill-surface system. The panels securely connect to the grill, yet remove quickly and easily for cleaning and storage. Removable drip tray
- 12,000-BTU tabletop gas grill with stainless-steel burner
- Twist-start ignition for easy start-ups; porcelain enamel-coated cast-iron cooking grate
- Folding side shelves; temperature gauge; propane tank not included
- Measures approximately 19-4/5 by 27-4/5 by 12-4/5 inches
- The hopper holds up to 3. 5 pounds of all-natural, hardwood pellets, while the 256 square inches of crowd-pleasing cooking surface provides plenty of room to grill up all of your favorite meals on the go. Go low and slow, or fast and hot with a temperature range from 180° - 500°F.
- Fuel source: wood pellets
- Wood pellet grill & smoker
- Black sand exterior
- Control type: dial-in digital
- Cooking temperature: 180°F to 500°F
- Cooking surface: main surface: 191. 4 Square inches
- Material type: Acrylic
When it comes to tabletop grills, the battle of pellet vs gas is between the Cuisinart CGG-200 Professional Tabletop Gas Grill and the Country Smokers CSPEL015010497 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker. The Cuisinart model is an easy to use portable grill that’s perfect for tailgate parties, picnics at the park, and days at the beach. It doesn’t need any assembly at all. You can get the grill going in less than 10 minutes. It features 2 stainless steel 20,000 BTU burners that have dedicated control knobs for more versatile cooking. It comes with a stainless steel grate that allows for even cooking. And at only 22 lbs, it can be easily carried from point A to point B without breaking a sweat. The Country Smokers Pellet Grill and Smoker, on the other hand, features a hopper that can hold up to 5 lbs of pellets and a digital control panel. It has 256 square inches of cooking surface which is smaller. The grill is compact and portable, but it is much heavier in comparison. What we do love about this grill is its versatility. You can roast, braise, grill, smoke, and even bake while you’re on the go. That being said, point for point, this round definitely goes to the Cuisinart Gas Grill.
Comparison 2: Fuego F21C-H Element Hinged Propane Gas Grill vs
Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Wood Pellet Grill
- New (May of 2020) Porcelain Enamel Lid to eliminate any paint peeling or bubbling
- New easy to clean drop through residue removal system allows for grease to drop straight through to the residue tray
- Upgraded 22, 000 BTU/hr. dual zone burner system for direct and indirect grilling. 500F in just 5 minutes and temps up to 650F overall
- 346 sq. In. Cast iron grilling grate with optional griddle and pizza stone kit
- Compact 21" X 21" (Lid closed) footprint perfect for the Small patio/balcony
- Easily assembly in less than 30 mins. Electronic ignition
- Features Sense-Mate, a thermal sensor which constantly monitors grill temperature
- Includes a meat probe, peaked lid for rib racks, convenience tray
- Weighs 68 lbs. and folds to fits in nearly any trunk, making it the ultimate Tailgating Grill
- 110V or 12V with adapters for 3 power options
In this round, we’ve got two truly uniquely designed grills for you – the Fuego F21C-H Element Hinged Propane Gas Grill and the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett WiFi Controlled Portable Wood Pellet Grill. The Fuego F21C-H Element Hinged Propane Gas Grill looks much like a robot from any Star Wars movie. Quite apt really since it cooks like it’s out of this world. It features a hinged lid design that stops at a 45-degree angle for hands-free grilling. It has a 22,000 BTU dual zone burner system for increased versatility. It comes with 346 square inches of cooking space provided by the cast iron grilling grate. It also features a new residue removal system that makes it easy for owners to clean the unit. While the Fuego is a good grill, it’s nothing compared to the Davy Crocket grill. This compact grill is not any ordinary pellet grill. It has a number of unique features. WiFi technology which means you can control this baby from your phone. You can set times and temperatures far away from the grill. Instead of babysitting the grill, you can go about doing other things like watch the newest series on Netflix. In addition, it features Sense-Mate which is a thermal sensor that constantly measures the grill’s temperature. The grill comes with a fan as well as a 7-inch peaked lid for superior air flow. It’s foldable legs can even double as handles.
Comparison 3: Weber 45010001 Spirit II E-310 Liquid Propane Grill vs Z GRILLS ZPG-7002E Wood Pellet Grill
- Sales Rank is7
- Department:Lawn & Patio
Our Summary Score: 8.2 points
- Boasts the GS4 grilling system with improved infinity ignition, burners, porcelain-enameled Glamorizer Bars, and grease Management system
- Porcelain-enameled, cast iron cooking grates
- 529 Square inches of cooking space over three burners. Left Table down width - 42 inches
- 30, 000 BTU-per-hour input main burners with fuel gauge
- Open cart design with six tool hooks and two large wheels.Built-in lid thermometer
- Sales Rank is5
- Department:Lawn & Patio
Our Summary Score: 8.8 points
- ★ULTIMATE 8-IN-1--Barbecue wood fire pellet grill: grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, barbeque.
- ★PELLET GRILL TECHNOLOGY--★ FLAVOR--There just isn’t an easier way to get the flavor of wood smoked food than with a pellet grill. Try it and you’ll taste the difference from a GAS or CARBON grill; ★ ACCURACY--Most stay within 10 degrees of the set temperature, no matter if its 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside; ★EFFICIENCY--You can cook for about 20 hours per 20 lbs. of pellets. When you do the math, you will find that pellet cooking typically costs less than a comparably sized GAS or CARBON gr
- ★EASIER THAN YOU THOUGHT--One button starts up and temperature control eliminates starter fluid. No need to run to the local station to trade in your propane.★EASY TO USE--Electronic AUTO-Start Ignition, Digital Auto Temperature Control, LED temperature readout. Super easy cooking even for beginners. ★EASY TO CLEAN--Special Designed Waste Oil Collector to assist you with safe and easy cleanup. ★EASY TO MOVE--Upgraded cart with locking caster wheels.
- ★2020 UPGRADE--Known Issues Fixed and More Precise Temperature Control and Pellet Feed Control System. The new upgrade digital control board auto ignites the grill and allows you to set the cooking temperature from 180°f to 450°f.
- ★AUTOMATED ELECTRIC FEED SYSTEM--Maintains the heat within 10 degrees of the set temperature for you from 180ºf to 450ºf and produce the optimal amount of smoke. Just set it and let it work: No more babysitting. Enjoy the cooking!★FAN-FORCED CONVECTION COOKING--Eliminates the need for a rotisserie and creates a versatile environment for grilling, roasting, smoking, braising and baking.Whether you want to grill some hot dogs or slow smoke a rib roast, pellet grills can do it all with ease.★HUGE G
- ★FAN-FORCED CONVECTION COOKING--Eliminates the need for a rotisserie and creates a versatile environment for grilling, roasting, smoking, braising and baking.Whether you want to grill some hot dogs or slow smoke a rib roast, pellet grills can do it all with ease.
- ★HUGE GRILLING AREA--Grilling area Dimensions 19. 2 x 26 inches, smoking/warming rack Dimensions 6. 9 x 27. 5 inches, total rack surface area 700 square inches. 20 pounds hopper capacity.
- ★STAINLESS STEEL BUILT--High resistance to corrosion means a longer lasting grill, with a sleek and polished finish.
- ★US-BASED Brand --Manufacturer 3 year warranty, please see the PDF file in Warranty & Support part for details. We’re a U. S-based Brand that has been making high-quality grills and smokers for more than 30 years. With warehouses in Los Angeles, California and Atlanta, Georgia, we’ve exported top-of-the-line products to Europe and all around the United States. We’re proud of what we do and stand behind everything that we build.
- ★100% SATISFACTION --Buy with confidence, as we offer 30-days refund/replacement and 3 years warranty.
If you’re looking for more cooking space, then these two grills should be right up your alley. The Weber Spirit II E-310 Gas Grill is an entry level full-size gas grill. It’s easy to use and performs solidly. It features porcelain-enameled cast iron cooking grates and the Weber GS4 grilling system which includes porcelain-enameled Glamorizer Bars and a grease tray. It comes with three burners with a total output of 30,000 BTUs. Other highlights of this grill include 529 square inches of cooking space, folding side tables, and integrated hooks. But if you’re looking for something better at the same price point, then you need to take a look at the Z Grills ZPG-7002E. This pellet grill features 700 square inches of cooking space and a 20-lb hopper capacity. It includes an upgraded digital control board that auto ignites the grill and lets you set a cooking temperature from 180°F to 450°F. This grill also comes with an Internal Temperature Sensor that enables it to automatically control the temperature within 10 degrees of what you set, no matter what the weather is outside. Just like the Weber, it’s solidly built and delivers great performance. But what really sets it apart is its versatility. With this pellet grill, not only do you have the ultimate convenience of being able to set it and forget it, you are also able to bake, braise, roast, sear, grill, and smoke your favorite foods.
Comparison 4: Weber 66015001 Genesis II E-315 3-Burner Natural Gas Grill vs Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill
- Sales Rank is3
- Department:Lawn & Patio
Our Summary Score: 8.2 points
- Your purchase includes One Weber Genesis II E-315 3-Burner Natural Gas Grill in Black color and One Gas supply hose. Cover is not included
- Grill dimensions: Lid Open - 62"H x 59"W x 31"D | Lid Closed - 47"H x 59"W x 29"D | Primary cooking area – 513 square inches | Tuck-Away warming rack area – 156 square inches | Wheel base dimensions – 38” from left to right and 29” from front to back
- This Genesis II E-315 has a 39,000 BTU output, 3 stainless steel burners and 6 hooks
- iGrill 3 Smart technology compatible, for perfectly grilled food (accessory Sold Separately)
- This grill is factory built to operate using natural gas only. Natural gas is delivered by your local utility through an underground pipeline system. Confirm a proper installation of the branch supply line from the house to the grill before using
- 3D interactive assembly instructions for this product are available through the free BILT app.
- Camp Chef SmokePro DLX PG24 (w/ Sear Box - $250 Retail Value) - Gas Tank Not Included
- Industry's Best "Bang For Your Buck" Pellet Grill and Smoker 2018
- Pellet Purge, Patented Ash Clean-out, and Grease Management Systems
- 500 Degree Cooking Temp and 25,000 BTU/h
- 570 Sq Inch Cooking Area, Auto-Ignite, Meat Temp Probe, and EZ Hopper Release
The Weber Genesis II E-315 is a step up from the Spirit II E-310. It features a black porcelain-enameled lid and cast iron cooking grates, 3 stainless steel burners with an output of 39,000 BTUs, a closed cart design and storage shelves, and the GS4 high performance grilling system. The Genesis has a bigger cooking surface (513 square inches), a welded tube frame, and fixed stainless steel tables. It’s better insulated and more fuel efficient as well. Plus, it comes with a 10-year warranty. However, as much as we love the Genesis, it’s the Camp Chef SmokePro DLX PG24 that really has us going. This pellet grill offers incredible convenience. It features an automatic pellet auger and electronic auto start ignition. It comes with a digital control system that allows you to set your desired temperature and a dual LED temperature readout. The durable meat probe connects with the system, so you’re able to monitor the temperature inside the meat. There’s a removable ash cup and grease bucket for easy cleanup. Plus, it comes with a shutdown mode. Moreover, it is very versatile and easily reaches high temps. All in all, the SmokePro gives you the best bang for your buck.
Comparison 5: Broil King 922557 Baron S420 Natural Gas Grill vs Traeger Grills TFB57PZBO Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill
- 4 stainless steel Dual-Tube burners deliver up to 40,000 BTUs heating the grill quickly and evenly
- 644-sq in total cooking area, including 444 sq. in of primary cooking space,
- Durable stainless steel side shelves fold-down / Level Q casters stabilize the grill on uneven surfaces
- This product is a Natural Gas unit and you must have Natural Gas plumbed out to your patio or deck to be able to use this grill; If you do not have Natural Gas plumbed, please look at our selection of Propane barbecues
- Reversible heavy-duty cast-iron cooking grids / Stainless steel Flav-R-Wave cooking system / Linear-Flow valves with 180 degree Sensi-Touch control knobs
- Your purchase includes One Traeger Grills Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill and Smoker. Cover not included
- Grill dimensions – 27” D x 41” W x 49” H | Weight – 103 lbs. | Cooking Capacity – 572 Sq. In. | Accommodate – 4 Chickens, 5 racks of ribs or 24 burgers | Main rack – 418 Sq. In. | Extra rack – 154 Sq. In. | Hopper Capacity – 18 lbs
- Never use gas or charcoal again: cooking with wood just tastes better. Traeger created the original wood-pellet grill as the ultimate way to achieve wood-fired taste
- The series touts precise temperature control, the Digital Pro Controller has Advanced Grilling Logic to keep temps within +/-15 degrees F* for guaranteed precision grilling
- Versatile barbecue cooking: hot and fast, or low and slow, the Traeger Pro Series 22 pellet grill offers 6-in-1 versatility to grill, smoke, bake, roast, braise, and BBQ food to juicy perfection
Our last comparison is between the big bad Broil King 922557 Baron S420 Natural Gas Grill and the popular Traeger Grills Pro Series 22 Pellet Grill. You’d think that a 4-burner full-sized gas grill would win this battle. But you’d be wrong. Now, this Broil King model isn’t anything to scoff at. It features 4 stainless steel dual tube burners that have a total output of 40,000 BTUs. It’s 644 square inches of cooking space allows you to feed a horde of hungry teenagers which means a lot. The grill comes with reversible heavy duty cast iron cooking grids and the Flav-R-Wave system for even heat distribution. But when it comes to taste and versatility, the Traeger Grills model wins hands down. Like all pellet grills, this baby can cook food in a variety of ways. And because of the pellets, it adds a delicious smokey flavor. That’s not all. The grill features precision temperature control which uses Advanced Grilling Logic to ensure that the grill maintains your desired temperature at all times. The set-it-and-forget-it ability of the grill makes it a more convenient and a lot easier to use. If you’re going to put down this much cash on a grill, then the Pro Series 22 is the one you best invest in.